Wikispaces Classroom is now free, social, and easier than ever.
Try it today.
Pages and Files
A History of the Gothic
Ah Mephisopheles! Exam Quotes
Bloody Chamber quotations
Company of Wolves
Courtship of Mr Lyon
Definitions of the Gothic (jac)
doctor faustus question plans - supernatural
Dr F - Forgiveness
Dr F Plan and Model Answer - Duality
Dr F Plan and Model Answer - Hubris
Dr Faustus - the role of women
Dr Faustus Question Plans - Mephistopheles
essay titles for DF
Faustus - Redemption and Forgiveness
Faustus AOs 2 - 4
Faustus Question Plan - Duality
Faustus Question Plans - fool or tragic hero?
Add "All Pages"
essay titles for DF
Suggested Essay Topics
1. Is Doctor Faustus a Christian tragedy? Why or why not?
2. Scholar R.M. Dawkins once called Faustus “a Renaissance man who had to pay the medieval price for being one.” Do you think this is an accurate characterization of Marlowe’s tragic hero?
3. Discuss the character of Mephastophilis. How much of a role does he play in Faustus’s damnation? How does Marlowe complicate his character and inspire our sympathy?
The above have short answers on sprknotes
4. How does Faustus use the magical gifts that he receives? How are the uses to which he puts his powers significant? What do they suggest about his character or about the nature of unlimited power?
5. What is the role of the comic characters—Robin, Rafe, the horse-courser, and the clown, for example? How does Marlowe use them to illuminate Faustus’s decline?
6. When does Faustus have misgivings about his pact with Lucifer? What makes him desire to repent? Why do you think he fails to repent?
7. Is God present in the play? If so, where? If not, what does God’s absence suggest?
8. Discuss the role of Faustus’s soliloquies—particularly his speeches about the different kinds of knowledge in scene 1 and his long soliloquies in scene 12—in shaping our understanding of his character.
9. Is Faustus misled by the devils, or is he willfully blind to the reality of his situation?
10. To what extent is Faustus a tragic hero?
11. Many critics have commented that Faustus is ultimately a character with whom we sympathise. Do you agree?
12. What have you found striking about Marlowe's presentation of Mephistopheles and Hell in Dr Faustus?
13. Comment on the importance of Wagner in Dr Faustus.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"